Ten foods, you shouldn’t give your pet we’re all guilty of it, but how can you not give Fido a little something-something off your dinner plate when he’s looking up at you with those big round puppy eyes, no matter how much it breaks your heart, you really shouldn’t Give in there are so many foods out there that are perfectly harmless to people, but can be dangerously toxic for dogs or cause food poisoning. So here’s a little guide for you on what you should never give to your furry little friends but Before we jump right in don’t forget to subscribe to our blog and hit that notification bell so that you won’t miss any of our updates.
10: Onion and Garlic
Thankfully, most cats and dogs will turn away from the pungent stench of an onion or garlic clove if they’re uninformed owner offers it to them. But in case your pet is a walking garbage disposal make sure it can’t get to these foods and, of course, never give them to your furry companion according to the pet poison, help line a 24-hour Animal Poison Control Center plants and vegetables in the onion family, such As garlic leeks, shallots and chives to name a few, contain propyl disulfide, this chemical destroys an animal’s red blood cells causing anemia, which in severe cases, can do serious damage to the internal organs. The most common symptoms are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea lethargy, abdominal pain and an increased heart rate. They usually appear within several days if you suspect that your pet has onion or garlic poisoning, take action and contact your vet immediately.
According to dr. Justin Lee, a board-certified emergency, critical care, veterinary, specialist and toxicologist lilies are extremely toxic to animals and can destroy their kidneys if consumed. There are actually two types of lilies out there, benign and dangerous ones, but nine lilies include the piece Peruvian and calla varieties.
They pose the less of a threat to your pet, since they don’t come from the lilium or her marrow callous families. But that doesn’t mean they’re totally harmless. They can still irritate the mouth tongue, throat and esophagus if your pet suffers from benign Lily poisoning, give them something tasty, like canned chicken broth, to help flush, the crystals out of their mouth and clear up these unpleasant symptoms and then there’s the other type of lilies. Like tiger lilies day, lilies, Easter, lilies, red lilies and many more they’re, highly toxic and potentially fatal for your pet, especially cats, dangerous lilies can cause a loss of appetite vomiting, excessive urinating and increased salivation.
As with any case of poisoning the sooner you get your pet to the vet, the better Lily poisoning is especially serious, though treatment usually requires three whole days of hospitalization.
Avocados have a ton of health benefits, so you should definitely try to include them in your diet. The same can’t be said about your dogs. Avocados contain a fungicidal toxin called person according to the pet poison help line.
It has a mild level of toxicity. Only targeting certain species, basic signs of person poisoning include gastrointestinal problems, troubles, breathing and heart issues in both dogs and cats. Foreign body obstruction is another risk when it comes to avocados, if your pet swallows the pit-hole it can get stuck in their esophagus, stomach or intestinal tract, so make sure that your dogs have no access not only to avocados but also to pits you might have tossed. In the trash.
7: Coffee & Chocolate
Coffee and chocolate, everybody seems to know about the no chocolate rule for dogs, so this one probably comes as no surprise as for coffee.
Well, I don’t know anybody that sits down to have their morning, Joe alongside their cat or dog, but still, let’s talk about why your dogs shouldn’t have either one according to the pet poison help line. Caffeine can be anywhere for moderately to severely toxic to an animal. It can cause elevated heart rate and body temperature, excessive urination, dehydration, tremors seizures and possibly death. Chocolate has its fair share of awful consequences too, especially dark chocolate, since it contains more theobromine.
This is the substance that makes chocolate toxic to animals, so when people say their dog got chocolate poisoning, it’s actually theobromine poisoning. It’S early symptoms include digestive issues, dehydration and a slow heart rate. Later stages of theobromine poisoning include seizures and even death always keep chocolate out of your pet’s reach so that they won’t be tempted to try it.
Dogs and bones are like macaroni and cheese. They just go hand in hand. We’Re not saying you can’t give spot a big juicy bone that you are in fact, you absolutely should bones, are a great source of minerals and nutrients for your canine companion, plus the act of chewing stimulates saliva enzymes, which helps prevent gum, disease and plaque buildup on The teeth you just have to be careful which types of bones you’re going to give your dog according to the American Kennel Club, poultry bones like chicken or turkey, as well as pork bones and any cooked bones, are strictly forbidden. These types splinter into shards.
That cannot only choke a dog but also do serious damage to its mouth throat or intestines. Most vets agree that raw meat bones are okay, but you should still supervise your dog while it chews on one: don’t let your dog chew on a bone for more than 15 minutes after that, put it in the fridge until the next time. You give it to your pooch, throw any raw bones away after three or four days. Size is also important.
The bones should be larger than the length of your dog’s muzzle. Otherwise, it presents a choking hazard if swallowed whole, since any bone can break into dangerous shards. When shoot on enough a lot of dog owners feel it’s not worth the risk. You can always give your pup high quality, nutrient-rich dog food, good dental shoes and regular teeth, brushing to replace what bone chewing provides.
But still bones are not. You should be doing all these things anyway,
it might come as a surprise. That’S something we humans should be eating once a day to keep the doctor away can be bad for our dogs. But, alas, here it is on the blacklist.
It’S red apples in particular that are a no-no for your cat or dog, because they can cause an allergic reaction, and it’s not really the Apple itself. That’S dangerous! It’S the seeds! They contain cyanide, which is perfectly safe for people in small doses, but extremely harmful for animals. Vomiting diarrhea and dehydration are the first signs of poisoning and it’s not just apples, though you can find such seeds and cherries and apricots too, if your pet ingest these cyanide filled seeds, take it to the vet immediately.
Tomatoes, along with potatoes and eggplant, Contain a chemical compound called Sala 9, it’s concentrated mostly in the green parts of these plants like the leaves and stem as well as in unripe vegetables. While we humans are pretty much unscathed by it.
Our dogs aren’t so much if your dog has gotten into your tomato garden and eaten what he shouldn’t as they love to do be on the lookout for signs of tomato poisoning. They include digestive problems, loss of coordination, muscle, weakness, tremors and seizures one totally ripe tomato. A week shouldn’t cause any harm to your pet, but it’s always best to ask your vet first, just in case.
3: Raw Eggs
Finally, a food on the list: that’s bad for both humans and their four-legged fur babies.
The avidin found in egg whites disrupts the metabolism of vitamin B in the body. This blockage can lead to dry flaky skin, which can become infected if your pet, scratches at it too much given that dry skin is often itchy. The threat is real. According to the American Society, for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, bacterial contamination is another danger here, just like people, cats and dogs can get salmonella or E coli poisoning from consuming raw eggs.
These bacteria can be in both the white and the yolk, so you should always cook your eggs before eating them or sharing them with your pet
2: Grapes & Raisins
to show you just how toxic these foods are for dogs. Consider this just half an ounce of grapes can poison a 10-pound dog and it’s all because of the negative effect grapes and raisins have on your animals. Kidneys signs of poisoning include lethargy, loss of appetite diarrhea, vomiting and dehydration. Don’T wait for it to clear up on its own you’ve got to take your pet to the vet in case of food poisoning.
Of course, the best treatment is prevention, make sure your furry friends don’t have access to any of the foods on this list, and that includes
1: Ice Cream
That’S right know: sweet delicious mouth-watering ice cream for your feline or canine companion. Tough luck, Fido. The main issue here is all that milk and sugar, since most adult animals are lactose.
Intolerant ice cream, doesn’t really agree with our system. So, instead of feeling the pure joy you or I get from gulping down a bowl of ice cream, your pet gets diarrhea vomiting and gastrointestinal issues, plus all that sugar means unpleasant dental problems, no matter how much your dog or cat is trying to get some of Your ice cream don’t give in, after all their health and well-being.
It’S what’s most important here right, do you know any other foods that are harmful for dogs ? Tell us what we missed in the comments below, since this is really important.